[Gllug] CD-Rom Writing,

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 2 18:56:32 UTC 2005

Doug Winter wrote:

> Peter Childs wrote:
>
>> Sorry about the rant but since the cdrom writting howto is soo out of
>> date where can I find the upto date instructions?
>

> Using a 2.6 kernel on recent debian, use the /dev device, i.e.:
>
>   $ cdrecord dev=/dev/hde foo.iso
>
> or whatever device your cdrom is at.
>
> I can hugely recommend k3b, which figures all this crap out for you.
> Beware some relatively recent kernel version (2.6.10 I think, but my
> memory is lame) that had a bug in it, that locked the cdrom device for
> writing after one attempt.
>
> In general, use k3b :)
>
> cheers,
>
> doug.

    Ok, I'll try that I've always been told that xcdroast was the best
tool to use but I'm quite happy to use somthing else. I need to write
some scripts to write cds at work shortly so I could end up getting
further into the scripting side a lot more, However a nice graphical
tool is what I need to quick jobs.
    Ok k3b hmm takes 3 weeks to load as it uses kde....
    Shame it does not work.... If it helps I get  (Same as xcdroast...)

Track 01:    0 of  183 MB written.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 0B 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0xB Aborted Command, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x00 Qual 0x00 (no additional sense information) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 24.096s timeout 40s
/usr/bin/cdrecord: A write error occured.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.
write track data: error after 0 bytes
Writing  time:   29.143s
Average write speed  42.9x.
Fixating...
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi
sendcmd: no error
CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 10 04 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x10 Qual 0x04 (id crc or ecc error) [No matching qualifier]
Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 480s
cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 480s
Fixating time:    0.003s
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Cannot fixate disk.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: fifo had 64 puts and 1 gets.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was
100%.

Peter Childs.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk