[Gllug] Experiences with Thunderbird and LDAP

Ashley hoshy at hoshy.co.uk
Thu May 19 13:44:17 UTC 2005

Wulf Forrester-Barker wrote:

>Ashley <hoshy at hoshy.co.uk> asked:
>

>>I was wondereding if anybody has been using ldap addressbooks in
>>thunderbird.  I've got them working happily but the two sticking
>>points, although not major, are shared mailling lists and
>>edit/creating new contacts....
>>
>>So, any suggestions, comments ?
>>

>Nothing that will help you move further forward, I'm afraid. I realised
>a few months ago that I could use Thunderbird to access my Groupwise
>email via IMAP (rather than relying on the GW webaccess client) but
>still haven't figured out how to query the central LDAP address book
>(although typing the same ldap://... address into IE on my Windows box
>does bring up a suitable query tool).
>
>Therefore, I'd be interested to know how you got your present level of
>access working! I did some reading round the topic when I started using
>Thunderbird but didn't find anything that helped me crack it (FWIW, I'm
>using a fully uptodate install of Ubuntua 'Hoary' 05.04).
>
>Wulf

I'm affraid I didn't actually do anything special.  Once I got the
contacts in the directory I just gave thunderbird
ou=Contacts,dc=company,dc=domain

Sorry, not much help.

Anybody:  I'm getting stuck for an app for windows that would allow
ordinary desktop users  to edit/create entries.  I'd rather not go
web-based but not too bothered either way.

Ashley
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk