[Gllug] Virgin Atlantic "advanced" inflight entertainment system

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Mon May 2 22:25:10 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 11:50:31AM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> Yes, that's right.  There are two versions (even on the A340s).  The
> old version is crappy and runs on MS-DOS.  They have been phasing this
> one out.

If that's the version with the (S?)NES emulator, then IIRC it takes
about 30mins at least for the system to actually start running at a
usable speed as everybody in the plane tries to use it at once.

> The new version is the one I'm talking about which is higher
> resolution, with a larger screen, and runs on Linux.  The new version
> still has a cretinous user interface and (from a small sampling taken
> from friends) poor reliability.

I did see the instructions for rebooting one printed on a sheet of A4
inside the cabin crew area. The bit I saw said something like:

 * Do stuff
 * A penguin will appear on the screen
 * Lots of text will scroll by
 * It's starting up and should be working again soon.

There were also basic troubleshooting steps for cabin crew to follow in
order to identify what corrective action was most appropriate (e.g.
designate that seat as just being broken, reset the whole row, or reboot
the entire thing).

This would've been.. ooh, about a year ago I think. It was on the
VS200/201 flight between LHR and HKG.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk