[Gllug] CD-Rom Writing,

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue May 3 06:35:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 02 May 2005, Doug Winter wrote:
> Beware some relatively recent kernel version (2.6.10 I think, but my
> memory is lame) that had a bug in it, that locked the cdrom device for
> writing after one attempt.

What? I saw no such bug in 2.6.10.

What I *do* see in 2.6.10+ is a packet-writing bug whereby
non-packet-written CDs are locked in the drive if you simultaneously
have a pktsetup device set up (tearing the relationship down with
`pktsetup -d' unlocks the drive). Nobody else can reproduce this, and I
haven't had time to track it down: are you seeing it?

--
`End users are just test loads for verifying that the system works, kind of
 like resistors in an electrical circuit.' - Kaz Kylheku in c.o.l.d.s
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk