[Gllug] Intrusion detection rates

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Fri May 27 08:52:41 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 09:01:50AM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    I have just installed an IPCop box on a BT-connect ADSL line which is
> reporting far more intrusion attempts than I see on my Demon ADSL connection
> (same speed). Is this pure chance? As far as I know BT do not filter, while
> Demom use Brightmail spam filtering but not anti-virus.

Intrusion attempts and viral emails (or spam emails) are seperate.

IPcop will be reporting trojaned/cracked/hacked/etc boxes scanning your
IP address(es) for vulnerabilities to exploit. I guess the BT address
ranges are just more popular than the Demon ones (either that or demon
does packet filtering of some sort...)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk