[Gllug] Upgrading thin ethernet....

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue May 10 07:23:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 01:12 +0100, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> Just on the offchance that someone is aware of a solution to this...
>

> Is anyone aware of anything I can use to get more than 10Mbps of
> bandwidth out of the coax?
I remember working at the Hammersmith Hospital,
where they had a broadband network which used coax.
(Rather than today's loose usage of broadband meaning high bandwidth).

I can't remember the brand name of the supplier, and it would be
well nigh impossible to locate the kit. I'm not even sure it carried
Ethernet.
Then again, cable TV multiplexes a network link on coax in the street,
so maybe there is some gear from that market.

As an aside, I started work on the project which used dedicated fibre
connections to Mac workstations for the X-ray PACS project.
A 20Gig RAID array which was portable as the US military could sling it
below a helicopter...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk