[Gllug] Server ISP recommended?

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Thu May 12 18:53:10 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 15:43 +0100, Simon Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2005, Jan Kokoska wrote:
>
> > - provide domain registrations, have a good reliable system and
> > generally take the hassle of dealing with Nominet off your back
>
> www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk do the job for us.

Whoa, redesigned website, the kittie prettier now.

Last time I checked it was just the two of them, with other full time
jobs, running BCN on the side... ahh, since March 2004 full time. OK, a
bit better, but I am still looking for a bigger shop for this.

Not exactly BT, mind you, but that is already ruled out as we require
competence ;)

> > In particular, what do you guys think about Positive Internet?
>
> They're clueful Debian geeks. What more do you need to know ? :-)

We have had a big client with banking app for about 2 years colocating
half rack with us who has fleed PI before.

Apart from that I know nil about PI, except everybody into FOSS
obviously recommends them, frequently without personal experience. Same
goes for Bytemark, but there are some people who actually have the UMLs
who complain quite a lot. I am afraid I would need more info on PI,

Bytemark is ruled out, for some reason they want to run dedicated
servers on Celerons with 512 RAM. I am sure they would colo our dual
Xeons with 3 GB, but this simply doesn't sound right. I think they're
pretty good with UML, though, have the fixed-memory kernel patch and
others. If it is possible to be good with UML in the first place, IMO
vserver is much better. Anybody doing FreeVPS in the UK yet?

Jan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk