[Gllug] OSS CMSs

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Thu May 5 14:17:15 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, Daniel P. Berrange <dan at berrange.com> wrote:
> This is sadly a fact of life with 'enterprise' java. I've found that
> despite the fact that there is supposed to be a uniform API that guarentees
> an app can run in any conforming servlet container, in reality things
> often break even between small version number changes.
> ..
> As to whether its worth the effort - the answer rather depends on your
> intended scenario. If is more personal use / hacking, IMHO you'd be
> better off with a CMS based on a scripting language perl/python/tcl since
> its just that much more productive. If on the other hand you just need a
> standard out-of-the-box CMS with good support for standards - particularly
> those related to Government online services, then APLAWS+ is a very goood
> fit, since we put alot of work into making the content types, navigation
> structure & all that stuff follow the government information standards.

One of the best reviewed serious CMS is bricolage, it is rated highly
by eweek and others and is very well suported. Naturally it's open
source and runs on *nix.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested Bricolage already as it is a proven
reliable CMS that beats the big guys for most deployments, let alone
the most of the java, php and python open source CMS that have been
suggested in this thread already.

A.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk