[Gllug] BIOS not detecting IDE hdrives

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Sat May 14 08:43:13 UTC 2005

I'm trying to build a small box with leftover bits
and pieces. Normally, I have no problems.

I've a gigabyte GA-5AX m/board with a K6-2 500Mhz
cpu (from an earlier upgrade)and two 4.7gig fireball
hard drives (plus reasonable graphics and sound cards,
psu and CD writer etc).

One of the hard drives is perhaps 'suspect', everything
else should be OK.

Now, when I boot, hard drives are shown as 'none'. The CD
writer and floppy are 'seen' correctly.

I've booted Knoppix, Puppy and Kanotix from CD's, and each
finds one of the hard drives, whilst Knoppix sees the second
one and all it's partitions without allowing access to it.
There's no improvement after studying the BIOS settings,
changing jumper settings on the hard drives, changing IDE
channels and changing connecting cables.

I'll accept that one of the drives is unusable, but cannot
understand why at least one hard drive is not identified
on booting. The BIOS (Award) has the option to auto detect
hard drives, but this doest not find a drive either.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please. (It's not
important that I get to use this box - just an easy way to
store some of the bits and pieces around and I can use
it for minor jobs).

Thanks,			John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk