[Gllug] CD-Rom writing

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed May 4 08:48:17 UTC 2005

On Wed 04 May, Peter Childs wrote:

>     I saw this when it wized passed and thought it strange, I'm using
> Debian, well Knoppix installed and upgraded apt actually,
>
> Peter Childs

   That could be a part of your problem, as Knoppix is based on Debian
unstable, (Sid), and not Sarge. Much of Debian "testing" (Sarge) has been
held frozen while release critical bugs are squashed and all architectures
struggle to reach the same development state, while some development has
progressed in Sid. Some developers are also working for both Debian and
Ubunto. There is no guarantee that all versions are in similar states.
   I do not have easy access to a machine running Sarge at present, but I do
remember something about setting the writer as /media/cdromN, not
/dev/cdromN, and possibly starting from 1 instead of 0.
   I assume that you had a problem with the new Debian installer, still
currently listed as in testing, and did not attempt to use the old Woody
installer. The best version to use for network installations is normally the
"businesscard" and not the larger netinstaller ISO, which is aimed mainly at
the Debian developers, and contains a basic 386 kernel.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk