[Gllug] [OT] spam accident

Ian Lewis ian.lewis at dlf.org.uk
Thu May 19 10:02:59 UTC 2005

We've been victims of this particular problem a few times. It appears that if
an unpatched M$ POP3 (mspop3connector) receives an email containing a large
number of addresses stupidly placed in the To: or Cc: field it will choke and
then start to send out (I know pop3 can't send)  huge numbers of copies of
the email.

Of course MS in their wisdom conncted the POP3 server to the SMTP server in
their own way.

The only way we could deal with it in the end to avoid a DOS was to REJECT
the From: of the original sender. And complain loudly.

> Perhaps I should suggest they use proper mailing list software?

Definitely.
That's a subject in itself!

Cheers,
Ian

> cheers,
> Tom
>

> --

Disabled Living Foundation - Solutions for Independent Living
http://www.dlf.org.uk
This email has been scanned for viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk