[Gllug] Re: Alcatel SpeedTouch on Slackware 10

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 06:56:27 UTC 2005

On 11/16/05, Peter Joanes <pjoanes at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Henry,
>
> On Wednesday 16 November 2005 19:12, Henry Gilbert wrote:
> > ... I think the main challenge is the kernel version
> > 2.6.14-2; the script works with 2.4.x ..
> FWIW, I'm using 2.6.11.9 on AMD64. I'd recommend not using an install
> script,
> not least because it will spew files over your system breaking the package
> management.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the support + interest. I am on a dilemna here because
2.6.14.2 optimized/recompile gave the machine such incredible speeds
and responsiveness, it would be sad to give that up for another
kernel. GlxGears was 55FPS before and now is 270FPS. I doubt I can
achieve the same with an earlier kernel but I could try. Obviously the
kernel being so new - I get the impression from forums & so on, that
speedtouch needs to be configured (even hand-editted) to work around
that.

There, I can see Alcatel connecting again on 2.4.31 and pinging yahoo works.

So, it works alright on 2.4.31 .. but 2.4.31 is painfully slow (the
machine is a 700Mhz/128Mb). I tried recompiling 2.4.32 for speed; but
because I am in a rush (got other commitments) naturally it kept going
wrong :)

> > I feel I am so close, I don't think its the kernel version alone.
> If you post some specific logs or error messages, I might be able to give
> you
> some pointers.

I will. I feel pretty bad I've spend too much on this and am worried
about my other (more important) commitments and deadlines. I am trying
to be disciplined and resume only after I've attended them or I will
get the stick. I don't like letting people down so yes no more
Speedtouch hacking for the day,  I might resume the challenge tonight.

> > I will go over your read your instructions again for Gentoo.
> In my instructions, it is only the part about init scripts to start the ppp
>
> connection on bootup that are Gentoo-specific. Other distro's will have
> something very similar.

I got great gaps in my knowledge of Linux. So the simplest of things
maybe very hard. With Slackware we have a problem: there is no
/etc/init.d ; the init script has to be done some other way via rc.d?
Again boot-up script is something I am not too good at. But we are
close.

I really want to resume this now and give you a report - ie the logs
but am switching over Desktops for work. I am sure we can crack this
one with the highly optimal/responsive 2.6.14-2 kernel. I might have a
last go again tonight.

Thanks a lot for your time and willingness to help.

HG
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk