[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 20:43:49 UTC 2005

Chris Hunter wrote:
> John Hearns wrote:
>
>> Congestion charging has worked rather well in our own city,
>> much though the press try to rubbish it and label it as a money spinning
>> scheme.
>
> If you're talking about London, it's been an unmitigated disaster.  It
> hasn't significantly reduced the traffic in the centre of the city

IME that isn't true. I ride to work by motorbike, and I work at the west
end of Whitechapel just yards outside the CC zone. I live in Surrey and
come up the A24/A3.

I used to turn right at the Elephant and head down the New Kent Road,
Bricklayer's Arms, Tower Bridge. This is all outside the CC zone. But
now all the traffic has moved out there and it's hell.

Instead I now head into the zone from the E&C and over Southwark Bridge
and along the north bank. All inside the zone and much quieter now.

Of course it doesn't seem to have reduced congestion overall, just moved it.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk