[Gllug] Zeroing IP counters with fedora core 3

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Nov 23 19:48:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, mfaz001-foo at yahoo.com uttered the following:
> I'm trying to zero the IP stats reportable with
> ifconfig & netstat and friends but can't find where to
> do this. Stopping the network don't cut da mustard.
>
> Anyone know the magic juju to do this?

The kernel provides no interface to do that, so there is no magic juju;
although changing the read-only sysfs device class in
net/core/net-sysfs.c into a read-write one wouldn't be hard, nobody has
seen a reason to do it (and in fact as it might let attackers hide their
tracks there could be a reason *not* to do it).

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
 freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk