[Gllug] Small rant

Paul Rayner paul at ylemsolutions.com
Fri Nov 11 21:14:14 UTC 2005

On 7 Nov 2005, at 21:21, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> John Hearns wrote:
>> But, but what IS this thing with 'Linux is good for rescuing
>> old/dead/underpowered/free hardware?'
>> Sorry to say it - we've come a LOONNGG way in the last few years.
>
> Linux, and OSS applications, are also good for rescuing modern
> hardware too.

IMHO the less people whose first experience of linux is an old P500
running a GUI comparable to win 95 the better.

Perhaps a good suggestion for people on a limited budget but not
wanting to have to sacrifice running a modern Desktop environment would
be the £150 Linux boxes Ebuyer are selling at the moment.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?
rb=12974714516&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=89079

or just type "linux" in the search box from the main page.

 From reviews it looks like they run some form of Mandrake/Mandriva.
I've ordered a couple to run as backup file servers - they'll be
overwritten with FC4, but if anyone's interested I can boot them up
first and have a poke around to see what's on them.

Regards,

Paul

P.S I have no connection to Ebuyer, and know that their customer
service can leave something to be desired!
--
Paul Rayner
Ylem Solutions Ltd ~ 32-38 Leman St, London. E1 8EW

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk