[Gllug] wireless broadband routers .... insufficient range

Kurt Goodliff kurt at lokdar.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 20:58:53 UTC 2005

Andy Farnsworth wrote:

> Alain Williams wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> my sister has a broadband wireless router; unfortunately she is not
>> able to receive
>> any signal from where she wants (inside a large victorian house). I
>> have told her to
>> lay in UTP -- which doesn't impress her.
>>
>> Do different types of router generate different 'strength' signals ?
>> Ie might a different
>> model help - if so how would you identify it ? I suspect that the
>> answer is 'no' since the
>> wifi card plugged into the laptop would also need to be more powerful.
>>
>> Any other suggestions ?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Yes, diffent models have different signal characteristics.  The best
> advice I can offer though is to run a single UTP line from the base
> router to a Wireless Access Point installed in such a way as to cover
> the rest of the house.  Few houses I know of will require more than
> two Wireless access points to cover it.  If it does, their rich and
> need to hire a full time network admin to handle these things for them :)
>
> Andy

Hi Andy

We installed a Netgear RangeMax AP a couple of months ago which worked
quite well. I believe it's got something like 7 internal antennas.
We found that this improved the range quite a bit, an added bonus is
that it has very cool lights, could make quite a nice conversation
piece, if your that way inclined ;P

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WPN824.php

The cheaper option is to get a larger antenna for your current AP that
way if it doesn't resolve the problem you haven't lost to much cash.

Good Luck

Kurt

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk