[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Mon Nov 7 18:56:19 UTC 2005

Richard Turner wrote:
> Of course, one of the good things about OOP is that there are so many
> design patterns out there now often you're problem's solved just by
> tacking a few patterns together; the hard work has already been done for
> you so you only have to concentrate on the specifics rather than
> pondering architectures.

I'm surprised to see this claim - certainly even the most ardent
patternista I've ever spoken to has never claimed anything quite so
strident.

Naming things is certainly useful, since it makes them easier to
discuss, but it doesn't really make them any easier to use.  Having
lists of patterns is nice because it's a way of capturing architectural
knowledge that is otherwise difficult to pin down.

However, the hard work is in selecting the appropriate pattern, and no
pattern language or catalogue can make that decision for you - it's not
an algorithmic decision, and depends on your understanding of the
problem in hand, how it might mutate in the future, what the forces at
play in your project are, your understanding of the deployment
environment and all sorts of other stuff.  A good software architect and
a bad one are differentiated by these decisions that they make.

Patterns are not the silver bullet, unfortunately.  In fact I have it on
quite good authority that there isn't one ;)

doug.

--
http://adju.st/
Cricket is not the new football. It is the new cricket, which is a
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk