[Gllug] Squid and DansGuardian on Ubuntu

Wiehe, Simon simon.wiehe at csfb.com
Wed Nov 30 16:19:40 UTC 2005

Hi,

I asked a question a few weeks ago about filtering http requests etc.
to stop the kids from accessing unsuitable sites. My set-up is an
Ubuntu server acting as a gateway to the net running iptables. It
seems that Squid (as recommended here) plus DansGuardian will do
what I want, site and content filtering, using a transparent proxy
configuration.

Now I have a question. What I really want to do is only filter for
certain users. Does anyone know if this is possible, it seems I
would need to put something in the firewall rules to accept if
from squid or user is x and route to proxy for all other cases.

Any suggestions on if this can be done? I also have a PDF on how
to set this up where it covers a transparent proxy but am I right
in thinking I cannot do conditional logic in iptables? I suppose
I will need 2 rules, on to forward to squid if the source address
is internal to the LAN and if the source is gateway box then accept.

Thanks

Simon

http://www.csfb.com/legal_terms/disclaimer_external_email.shtml

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk