[Gllug] Backing up an elderly MySQL database

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 11:58:56 UTC 2005

Hello,
   I am trying to do a complete backup of a MySQL database, complete with
all permissions, etc, to a standby machine. The preferred option would be a
total backup every day. The original is MySQL 3.2.32 on FreeBSD 3.2
   I have found installation CD ISO images of FreeBSD 4.10 4.11 5.3 5.4 and
6.0 and have discovered that FreeBSD 6.0 offers MySQL 3.23.59 4.0.25 4.1.13
and 5.0.9_1

   I guess that the backup should be made to a machine running a compatible
version, and any upgrade to the latest stable version undertaken as a
separate process.

   I am totally new to BSD, and have not used MySQL before, so any hints
would be welcome. The MySQL website carries details of recent database
versions, but very few details about early versions.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk