[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 19:11:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 14:57 +0000, Nix wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, paul at thinksolution.net spake:
> > The whole thing is designed to make you see the Neo-nuclear point of view
> > the electricity industry is actively promoting a return to nuclear energy

<snip>

> - Solar: doesn't scale, making the panels is very environmentally
> damaging, they don't last long, clearing enough land to generate much
> power is environmentally damaging, they cost a lot, and can't generate
> power on demand.

Not disagreeing with most of what you posted, but there's an interesting
new project in the us to buils about 800 megawatts of generating
capacity using Solar energy, but instead of using photovoltaic panels,
they're using sun tracking mirror arrays pointed at stirling engines. I
haven't looked at it in detail, but it seems to me like a substantially
better way to harness solar energy where the conditions are right.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk