[Gllug] hostname on CentOS

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Nov 11 11:30:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, caparo at saltmine.org.uk gibbered uncontrollably:
>  Thanks Dan as you said it did the trick. Another trick to add to my little
> blue book :}

A good trick if you're wondering `where the hell is {foo} configured' is to
do

grep -R foo /etc

(or, in Unixes not blessed with the GNU variant of grep,

find /etc -type f | xargs grep foo)

and have a look at the output. What you want will probably be in there
somewhere. (This works especially well in distros like Debian and
Debian-derived distros like Ubuntu that have strict policies regarding
putting systemwide configuration in /etc and *only* in /etc, but it
works reasonably well even on Solaris and IRIX, and is generally
torpedoed only by databases, which tend to store their configuration
state in odd parts of the filesystem or inside the database itself,
inaccessible by grep.

One of the things I've been wondering about implementing is a FUSE
module that provides limited access to the tables in a database as a
filesystem... but it's some way down my priority queue right now, alas.)

--
`Heinlein is quite competent at putting together sentences, but usually
he also puts together a plot to go with them.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk