[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 14:28:42 UTC 2005

On Mon 21 Nov, Sean Burlington wrote:

> The other way of doing this is to install boilers in houses that generate
> electricity - in effect they are mini-power stations - but instead of heat
> being an incidental it is the primary purpose.

   I have heard of commercial buildings and hotels doing this, but smaller
units could be cheap and nasty, both inefficient and unreliable.

> The electricity generated is put back into the grid, the overall
> effeciency is very high.
>
> All these things (even nuclear at about 20%) could only ever be a small
> part of the overall solution - but they all add up.

   We do not have a helpful climate. We need heating in winter, but mainly
cooling in summer. We could help by reducing the need for energy. Air
conditioning systems require huge amounts of energy, often trebling the
amount of power required in summer, and the more you use the worse the
problem.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk