[Gllug] partition table screwup

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 08:10:02 UTC 2005

I have to agree with previous comments about multiple partitions  - I too
always like to have the various 'main' directories mounted on separate
partitions.  It makes life much simpler for backing up and potentially
restoring.   On the SCO Openserver system we also use (which uses 'divisions'
within a partition giving potentially loads of filesystems on a disc), extra
divisions are very handy for keeping image-copies of filesystems on separate
discs.   Very easy then to backup an entire filesystem to another disc by
umounting temporaily, doing a 'dd' and remounting.   The image copy can be
mounted elsewhere at any time,  copied off to tape at leisure  etc.

I was not aware of LVM on Linux,  but for our usage thereof it would seem to
offer minimal benefits against the extra complexity and potential for failure!

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk