[Gllug] Mysterious reboot

james at eccehomo.co.uk james at eccehomo.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 09:46:59 UTC 2005

On Fri Nov 18 2005 at around 01:05AM GMT, Rhys Powell spoke thusly:
> Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I got home from work today to find that my machine had mysteriously
> >restarted. It is normally up for weeks or months without the need to
> >restart and over the last 4 years I have never had this happen, and
> >I leave the machine on 24x7. I have checked the syslog etc. and I can
> >find no reason for a shutdown, just a message in the log that states
> >restarting. Does anyone have any idea why this might have happened,
>
> This is quite strange and the only thing that I can think of is that its
> a full moon as this happened to one of our server in work yesterday. No
> reason no warning but it rebotted and there is nothing in any of the
> logs to indicated the reason why.
>
> Rhys

Just to add to the paranoia, this happened to me yesterday as well.
Both my servers restarted according to syslog, one at 6:43am, one at
6:50.  No other electrical appliances indicated a power problem (no
alarm-clock flashing etc).

Hmm, tin-foil hat time?

James.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk