[Gllug] Soundcard heuristics

Pooly pooly7 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 00:45:34 UTC 2005

2005/11/5, Adrian McMenamin <adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk>:
> I have a box running Ubuntu which has a soundcard built in to the mobo
> and a box with the same model of mobo running on a Fedora box. the
> Fedora box plays sound, the Ubuntu one doesn't.
>
> Is it likely that the soundcard is stuffed on the Ubuntu one? Are there
> any tests I can run to see what might be wrong? Is there something I
> have missed at a higher level (eg ALSA configuration - though I have
> unmuted everything afaics)?

Is the mixer working ? (launch kmix for instance, it should show the
via 8235 (or what you have)), and look if every level is not on zero.
(I had a distro few years ago that reset it to zero from time to
time... no sound !).
(That's the only help I think of, I've got the same chipset and it's
working like a charm, sorry)

--
Pooly
Webzine Rock : http://www.w-fenec.org/