[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Nov 18 08:23:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Rich Walker stipulated:
> The results: if you build wind turbines *everywhere*, you can cover a
> significant fraction of base load. It turns out that we've never had a
> non-windy day in the UK, just localised calm spots.

That's not even slightly surprising. But the *cost*, and what it would
do to the landscape, ick.

You'd still get capacity utilization of ~15% everywhere except the
seashores.

>> NIMBYs against them almost as hard as they do against the local nuke
>> plant and the military force rejection of a *very* large proportion
>> because they interfere with radar something chronic. Wind-out-at-sea
>> eliminates the NIMBY problem but the other ones are still there, you
>> annoy seabirds, and storms can smash them.
>
> Then there's things like wind lenses, which allow you to build a big
> stationary outer turbine with a small very fast turbine in the centre.
> Changes the characteristics considerably.

Wind lenses?

[google]

Ooh, nifty tech. :)

--
`Holy Google, pray for us sinners now and in the hour of our job interview.'
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk