[Gllug] Issues with Hotplug && Auto-mounting

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Nov 30 16:51:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Richard Jones murmured woefully:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:19:33AM +0000, Stig Brautaset wrote:
>> On 30 Nov 2005, at 08:42, Peter Childs wrote:
>> >Silly point and I might be getting this completely wrong but most of
>> >firefox is written in a mixture of Javascript, XML, very little in
>> >files that actually need compiling. Basically the compiled bits are a
>> >collection of libraries, oh and a boot strap.
>>
>> The firefox1.0.7 source tarball is ~30MB in compressed form. It
>> contains 5783 C and C++ files, containing 2972784 lines of code[0].
>> I'm only guessing here, of course, but I'd say that will take some
>> time to compile. It is possible, of course, that so much javascript
>> and XML is part of this that the numbers I have quoted amounts to
>> very little in comparison, but I'd be surprised.
>
> Not tried it on my new machine, but it used to take over 6 hours to
> compile on my old ITX (1 GHz Nehemiah).

Indeed. The virtual machine on which XUL runs does a *lot*, i.e.,
pretty much everything we'd expect of a web browser, including all
the rendering, JS interpretation, and then the other weird stuff
like the COM and so on... pretty much all XUL/JS can do is position
buttons and fiddle the DOM in response to them; enough for layout
of dialogs, but for things like the core browser or the mail and
news reader, a *very* large amount of C++ is needed as well.

Mozilla is *not* XEmacs, even though both were hacked on by JWZ :)

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
 freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk