[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Nov 23 02:05:05 UTC 2005

On Tuesday, 22 Nov 2005, Nix wrote:
>Er, no. It's more a statement of fact. The Chinese government is not
>forcing anyone to buy cars!

Well, obviously not; you don't have to force people to do things they
want to, and given that people are generally willing to risk each
others' lives for their own convenience, this is something that people
want to do.

But the Chinese government _is_ in a position to discourage them - to
a degree we would find remarkable, given that they _are_ a police
state; FFS, China is trying to stop people looking at porn on the
Internet, and may be even holding back the tide there to a degree -
and isn't.

Hence my original point; they don't really care about long-term
environmental consequences enough to take effective action.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Tuesday, November.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk