[Gllug] email mail merge

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 01:00:11 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 23:38 +0000, Simon Morris wrote:
> On 08/11/05, Diana Scott <dianascott1 at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Do you know how to use mail merge function to send emails to multiple
> > receipents in suse 9.3?
>
> Hi Diana,
>
> One question would be where are these email addresses stored?
>
> In a database or a spreadsheet. Maybe a text file?
>
> In OpenOffice.org you would need to setup a data source that opens the
> location of the email addresses and then you can mail merge from
> there.

OpenOffice.org can't merge to email. There's an option to do it, but
it'll appear greyed out. It's always greyed out. It's only not greyed
out if you have the right Java library loaded on your system, but that's
not actually open source, and only comes with StarOffice 8. So, though
OOo provies the hooks that would let you merge to email, the actual
functionality is missing. That said, OpenOffice.org's mail merge
functionality is so dreadful that you're not really missing much...

To the OP - I do all my mail merges to email by using a perl script that
takes an appropriately formatted text file as its data source. If you
want a copy of this, mail me off list, and I can send it to you.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk