[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 13:40:02 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, will <will at willj.net> wrote:
> Lee, Paul wrote:
> > A problem I have with CSS is resolving browser compatability problems.
> > Something will line up and look nice in Firefox but will look a mess in
> > IE (or different versions of IE).

welcome to my world :)

firefox is nothing.
try making it look pretty much the same over Opera 7 / Opera 8 / IE
5.2 for Mac / IE 5+ / IE 6 / Konqueror / Safari ..

then make it gracefully degrade on other browsers: Dillo, Text
Browsers, Netscape 4.7, WebTV, etc

> A large number of layout issues can be corrected by using a strict
> doctype (HTML or XHTML) as IE (6+ ISTR) renders them in a more standards
> compliant way.
>
> I have given up trying to get websites to work in IE 5.x.  On a non-geek
> website I run the amount of users using IE 5.5 is 2.1%, with IE 5.23 or
> lower at 1.5% and falling.
>
> Will.

Again its what audience you want, whom you are trying to please.

There are some accessibility zealots that get all bothered about a
site not rendering on IE 3.0.

>From personal experience I know it pays to go that extra length
accomodating to at least ALL modern/recent browsers ..

An unserved customer is a very loyal customer.
Happens with Linux hardware too.

Make your site look pretty neat on that exotic browser (Safari, TV,
PDA etc) and you build yourself a returning customer (who will also
tell others from his club)

Will, I am no CSS guru
but if you are ever stuck with cross-browser compatibility (including
javascript) - feel free to ask me.

HG
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk