[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Chris Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 18:58:16 UTC 2005

John Hearns wrote:

> Congestion charging has worked rather well in our own city,
> much though the press try to rubbish it and label it as a money spinning
> scheme.

If you're talking about London, it's been an unmitigated disaster.  It
hasn't significantly reduced the traffic in the centre of the city, and
it has lost money since it started.

It's based on a fundamentally flawed premise, and has just increased the
costs of companies within the zone.  It is leading to the closure or
removal of several well-known companies, and is reducing retail trade
drastically.

You won't ever get the true figures from the Mayor's office or from TfL
(they all want to keep their jobs), but if any future Mayoral Candidate
reveals the /real/ figures, Livingstone will end up in gaol!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk