[Gllug] Zeroing IP counters with fedora core 3

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 21:49:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 01:49:49PM +0000, mfaz001-foo at yahoo.com wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm trying to zero the IP stats reportable with
> ifconfig & netstat and friends but can't find where to
> do this. Stopping the network don't cut da mustard.
>
> Anyone know the magic juju to do this?

If you use rrdtool, it has a COUNTER type which is for just this kind of
situation. It handles resets to 0 caused by 32bit or 64bit wraparounds,
too.

Otherwise, I guess you might be stuck. You could always rip the code out
of rrdtool which handles the COUNTER type.. it probably wouldn't be too
hard.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk