[Gllug] Why are ISPs so stupid?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Nov 17 13:13:55 UTC 2005

On 17/11/2005, "Martin A. Brooks" <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:

>The ISP can only hand off data that's passed to its network, once the
>line has been disconnected then there's simply no traffic there to
>redirect to a web page.
>
>It's not actually that simple, but that's close enough for the purposes
>of this answer, I think.

Yeah that's what I figured.  But surely they could keep it running for a
couple of days after the payment is overdue with the aforementioned
notification?

Hell, I'm sure they wait for weeks beyond the payment due date before
disconnecting.  Bring the date forward a week and for that week run the
"you haven't paid" redirect thing...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk