[Gllug] Enlightenment menus

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 25 14:40:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 12:28:42PM +0000, Chris Hutchison wrote:

> On 24 Nov 2005, at 16:40, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 02:38:28PM +0000, Chris Hutchison wrote:
> >
> >Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but you have restarted your
> >window
> >manager after changing your profile?
>
> Yep, had done so.
>
> By the way, I perhaps should have pointed out (though you might have
> guessed) that I'm running Enlightenment on a Mac under X11 1.0 /
> XFree86 4.3.0
>
> I can launch applications OK from the prompt in a terminal window (viz.
> % nmapfe rather than % /sw/bin/nmapfe); only in the Enlightenment menus
> (file.menu, editors.menu, etc) do I need to state the full path ...
> which makes me wonder whether this is an Enlightenment-specific thing
>
> >Where do you define your path?
>
> Hhmmm ... I'm stumped.  My /etc/profile file reads:
>
> 	# System-wide .profile for sh(1)
>
> 	PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
> 	export PATH
>
> so I guess it ain't there.  But since I set the $PATH from the prompt,
> I've no idea where
> 	/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
> is defined

As for where you pickup the path, what is your shell? There will be
specific files in /etc/ and your home directory that will add to your
path. See your shell man page for info on this.

What is your display manager? GDM? For example, in
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf:

  # Default path to set.  The profile scripts will likely override this
  DefaultPath=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

In my case adding to this would be inherited by enlightenment as gdm is
the parent process:

[benf at myworkstation ~]$ pstree -a 722
gdm-binary -nodaemon
  |-X :0 -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth vt7
    `-enlightenment
<snip_all_my_windows/>

HTH,

Ben.