[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Mon Nov 21 13:50:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, November 21, 2005 9:39 am, Jim Bailey said:
> On Nov 21, 07:19, Nix wrote:
>> Now call me a NIMBY but I don't *want* a coal or oil-burning plant
>> nearby because they stink. (Modern gas-fired plants are much less
>> smelly. Anyone know why?)
>
> I agree and when you build a plant like this near existing housing it is
> prohibitively expensive to retro fit the homes and offices.  There have
> been however quite a few modern buildings in central London where
> economies of scale mean generating their own power on site is practical
> and cost effective.  Don't quote me but I remember seeing something
> about the BBC having a building doing this using a gas powered turbine.

The other way of doing this is to install boilers in houses that generate
electricity - in effect they are mini-power stations - but instead of heat
being an incidental it is the primary purpose.

The electricity generated is put back into the grid, the overall
effeciency is very high.

All these things (even nuclear at about 20%) could only ever be a small
part of the overall solution - but they all add up.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk