[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Nov 4 13:12:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005, Tethys prattled cheerily:
> "Martin A. Brooks" writes:
>>However when you are writing stuff that's going to be running on N
>>different operating systems shell scripting becomes less portable.
>>Supposing your favourite shell isn't available, what do you do then?
>
> But my favourite shell *is* available. I don't write bash scripts
> specifically because bash isn't everywhere. Bourne shell *is*. When
> I run into something that /bin/sh doesn't handle, I switch to ksh,
> which is as close to everywhere as you'll find. More so than perl,
> for example...

Indeed. I prefer to write Perl scripts, but virtually none of our
clients have Perl installed, and none of them will have anything
but the core packages, nor allow us to install more. So it's
ksh scripting for me most of them time...

--
`Heinlein is quite competent at putting together sentences, but usually
he also puts together a plot to go with them.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk