[Gllug] Re: Alcatel SpeedTouch on Slackware 10

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:48:56 UTC 2005

On 11/18/05, Peter Joanes <pjoanes at hotmail.com> wrote:

> If you are happy using this script, then fine. As I said before though, it
> uses userspace drivers. *There is no need for the speedtch kernel module (or
> pppoatm, etc.) with this method*
> I think it is messy and has stability issues (e.g. I used to see problems if
> you kill modem_run whilst the ppp connection is still up). That is why I am
> using the kernel drivers. The script you are using does not relate to the
> kernel drivers.
> There are two projects. The user space (old) driver page is at
> <http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net>. The kernel driver page is at
> <http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch>.
>
> Cheers,

Hi Peter.
This works (ok init script doesn't). I am very scared! I mean I could
go and try and use the other method. I probably have tried before with
no success (I can't remember now). What I am scared of - is getting
stuck again for days going around in loops. All methods assumes much
previous knowledge of things; I didn't even know about chap secrets
and pap stuff. Or lib/firmware .. or hotplugging .. User Space /
Kernel Space are concepts that fills my being with dread. If I could
be guided on a 100% sure-shot-thing that will work on Slackware 10.2
.. I am all up for it. What I can't do is fill in any gaps - - I mean
I could try and destroy everything :)
Come to think of it - I think that was also why I ended up
reformatting the drive and removing Debian, I was going round in many
vicious circles. Those sites are still theoretical (all sites are) - I
am not very good at many aspects of Linux - it won't be long before I
mess up the Slackware installation as well :(

one feels desperately lost (and hungry could do with that free dinner tonight!)

Note I have those site's files installed here as well. They just
didn't work somehow.

regards

Henry
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk