[Gllug] Home desktop PC rebuild with Linux?

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 17:31:06 UTC 2005

On 11/23/05, Christopher Currie <ccurrie at usa.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good firm or person in London that would rebuild a PC
> round hard drives, or install existing drives in a new PC? And wouldn't be
> afraid of SuSE Linux?
>
> I have a 4-yr-old Mesh Athlon-1400 PC with newer 80 and 40 GB hard drives,
> dual-boot with Suse Linux 9.3 (and a legacy windows ME installation which I
> need to keep but don't use much). Motherboard keyboard connection is dodgy,
> so I don't want to risk going on using it.
>
> Some other components may be worth salvaging/transferring, and I would not
> want to replace external peripherals as well (which will limit choice of
> ports etc.).

I hope you found some help by now.
I would offer to help if it wasn't for the hardware part.
Even though I've installed the odd hard-drive here, and a network card
on another PC.
I seriously feel nervous about having to deal with any hardware. Let
alone transferring electronic components around.

I know of people very comfortable with the idea of opening PC cases
and swapping things around without hesitation. The problem with them
is that they feel pretty terrified of Linux itself. The fear is
equally irrational.

If you ever get stuck with the software part only - I can offer to help you out.

regards

Henry
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk