[Gllug] remote access to CD drive

TM tm at tm.uklinux.net
Wed Nov 23 11:39:57 UTC 2005

Dear all,

Can anyone tell me why I don't have access to the CD drive of FC4 box
when I login remotely (I've tried ssh and Exceed) as an ordinary user?

The device shows as not mounted and I get an error message that only
root is allowed to mount. This is so despite the fact that
a) I don't have any such problems if I login locally
b) I made sure that the device is mounted (by the local login)
    and then login remotely as the same user.

This has all the signs of being a security feature. Can anyone explain
it to me please? What does the 'pamconsole' option do in the fstab?

Thanks
TM

P.S.

There's a copy of fstab:

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /		ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot		ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/devpts             /dev/pts	devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/shm                /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/proc               /proc		proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sys                /sys		sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap		swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/scd0		/media/cdrecorder	auto	pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrom            auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk