[Gllug] Discovery Day

David Reed David at aliada.plus.com
Fri Nov 11 23:51:15 UTC 2005

Nix wrote:

>>>/dev/hda1   /windows  vfat  defaults,umask=000   0 0
>>>

>>snip
>>

>The data partition, and yes. `man fstab' documents this stuff, but
>basically the first field is the device the data is coming from, the
>second is the place you want to put the filesystem when you mount it,
>the third is the filesystem type, the fourth is filesystem-specific
>options, and the fifth and sixth are numbers indicating what order
>to check and back up the filesystems in. (The last number is only
>used by one backup tool, which I hate and avoid, and is optional.)

Thanks, that does help a lot. I will take a look at man fstab.

>>snip
>>

>`The legacy IDE hard disks'? I'm not sure I can remember contributing to
>that :/ The machine directly above my head at this moment[1] has a
>distro partially sitting on an old non-ATAPI IDE hard disk. It wasn't
>any different from installing one on ATAPI disks (I had to look closely
>to realise that one machine had ATAPI and the other didn't.)
>
>[1] well, there is a floor in the way. loki isn't some sort of Server of
>    Damocles.

Perhaps I didn't make my point with sufficient clarity. Its not the
installing on the old disks that fails. I suspect, though I have
insufficient understanding, that grub fails to deal with the combination
of SATA and IDE disks in such a way  as to make the multiple operating
systems bootable. Both Ubuntu and SUSE had gone through the installation
process until the point where a reboot happens. That is where it always
seems to fail and leave the whole machine unbootable. I presume it is
the MBR.

Thanks for the help. I don't think that I'll bring along the box this
time. It is too disruptive.

David Reed
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk