[Gllug] Issues with Hotplug && Auto-mounting

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 20:40:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 07:00:49PM +0000, Henry Gilbert wrote:
> On 11/21/05, Shakthi Kannan <cyborg4k at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > --- Henry Gilbert <henry.gilbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > script to work on Slackware 10.2 (Linux 2.4.31) ..
> >
> > Any specific reason to use 2.4.x?
>
> I managed to make the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem work on it.
> Any other kernel I failed.
> If I could be confident I could make it work with 2.6.xx then I would
> go for that.
> But I am kinda scared of breaking something I found hard making it work

just get hold of a 2.6 kernel package for slackware and install it.
Kernel packages co-habit as everything is under
/lib/modules/<kernel-version> or /boot/bzImage-<version> etc.

Then add your new kernel to /etc/lilo.conf, re-run lilo and reboot,
selecting your new 2.6 kernel from the menu. If it all goes pear shaped,
reboot into 2.4.

if you can't find a 2.6 kernel package (or packages, I forget, as I
haven't used slackware for a good while) just compile your own and
create the package.

HTH,

Ben.

--