[Gllug] Issues with Hotplug && Auto-mounting

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Nov 28 18:54:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Martin A. Brooks spake:
> Futhermore stuff like Firefox can take literally _hours_ to compile,
> the microsecond of processor time you gain by compiling for, say, i686
> when your distro ships an i386 binary, is instantly and unrecoverably
> wiped out by the time spent watching GCC do its thing.

Actually, compiling *GCC* for the right processor, and especially compiling
it with profile feedback enabled, can speed up that compilation by 5--10%.
(But I guess as a CPU-bound app GCC is unusual.)

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
 freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk