[Gllug] Wireless connection drop dead

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 19:32:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 18:31 +0000, Diana Scott wrote:
> Hi
>
> I scan again and found 2 connections - one is mine and the other one is my
> neighbour's.

OK, sounds like the problem is at the client (ie your PC) end - or how
are you judging whether you get a connection?

Is you card set up to work in infrastructure mode (ie to work with an
access point)?

Your card may be expecting to work in "Ad Hoc" mode - meaning it just
talks to other wireless cards as an equal rather than being governed by
the master in the router.

Are you set up to use Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) - this
means the IP address for your card is assigned by the router?

How are you judging whether you are connected or not?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk