[Gllug] problems with grep

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Nov 23 19:28:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Dan Kolb gibbered uncontrollably:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 04:40:48PM +0000, Anthony Newman wrote:
>> charles wrote:
>> >grep -E 'e$' words2.txt
>> >
>> >doesn't work either. Any more suggestions?
>>
>> Yes it does. What platform and version of grep are you using? My
>> suggestion works fine on a newish Linux box (GNU grep), on a Solaris 8
>> Sparc box (horrid Sun grep), a Cobalt RaQ running Linux 2.0, etc. It
>> basically works everywhere, even without the -E 'extended' flag that I
>> think is a GNU feature ;-)
>
> Not entirely :-) OpenBSD's grep (not GNU) also honours the -E flag.

-E and -F are the POSIX-mandated replacements for egrep and fgrep, which
POSIX says are obsolescent. So everyone should hopefully support
them eventually.

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
 freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk