[Gllug] Sharing Internet via Serial Cable

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 08:17:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 00:5
> What I was wondering if anyone know of a way to share internet
> connection between two Linuxes via Serial Cable.

Yes but sort of, um

Your life will become a bed of roses if your dying laptop has enough
life in it to manage a PCMCIA ethernet card. Normally they just work: in
my experience that mean the latest Slackware, Ubuntu, FreeBSD

Before that I managed to do point-to-point networking using a parallel
lapnk cable that came with PC Anywhere (tm, etc). It seemed to be
simpler than using a serial cable, possibly bcos the newer laptop
doesn't have any serial post _at_all

I'll happily send you the ethernet card if you want it.

TomSW

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk