[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sun Nov 20 08:49:37 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 08:33 +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 17:33 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> >    I thought that our nuclear facilities were powered by U235 extracted from
> > mines in the UK, as it is found in the same areas as tin, lead, and silver.
No uranium mining in the UK, AFAIK.
Then again, we were governed by people in the 1950's who considered
conducting atmospheric tests at Dounreay.

> Speculation, but the original Windscale piles were probably powered by
> uranium from Canada.

Aha! Google is my friend. Map of where Uranium deposits are found:

http://www.cameco.com/uranium_101/uranium_science/uranium/

Still would be good to find where the Calder Hall and Windscale piles
got their fule from though.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk