[Gllug] OT new graphics card compatibility

will will at willj.net
Fri Nov 18 17:05:09 UTC 2005

I am trying to get a new graphics card (currently a 32Mb Riva TNT 2) for
my decrepit celeron work machine.  I don't need much, only 2d and 1280x1152.

The problem I have is that all the cards I can find (even the cheapest)
state that they are AGP 8x.  I have no idea what speed the AGP slot in
my motherboard has (and in fact there are no manufacturers markings on
the motherboard making it difficult to look up).

My questions are:

- If I buy an AGP 8x card and my PC only has an AGP slot less than '8x',
will it still work, just a bit slower.

- How do I tell the speed of the AGP slot on my motherboard?

Thanks.
Will.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk