[Gllug] Gimp print experiences

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 00:08:08 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with using
Gimp-print/Gutenprint, and if so, how they've found it. I've recently
got an Epson Stylus Photo RX620 (scan/copy/print gadget), and set it up
with the version of Gutenprint in unstable (5.0rc1). The RX620 uses the
same print engine as the R300 apparently, and is a 6 ink device that can
do pretty good quality.

Anyway, I got all this set up almost effortlessly (nice surprise), but
I'm very unimpressed with the output. Printing an image produces muddy
colour, too dark, and with too much green. On top of that, the
"borderless" mode has borders, and chops a bit off one end of the image.
Sticking the same image file on a CF card and printing from the card
slot in the printer produces an image that is acceptably colour matched
to what I see on screen - much nicer than the Gimp output.

So, out of curiosity, has anyone else seen this sort of thing, or had
similar experiences with Gutenprint? I'm hoping it's just a result of
the driver for the R300 print engine not being quite up to snuff yet,
and waiting a while will cure it, but if there are any obvious settings
people are aware of that I'm missing I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk