[Gllug] p2p programs

Paul Rayner paul at ylemsolutions.com
Mon Nov 14 18:48:02 UTC 2005

> To close the subject instead of going round semantic circle.
> How about listing some recommendation for newcomers to Linux
> about better security practices?
>
> They do that with Windows.
> Would be nice to compile a short list for Desktop Linux.
>
> I for one would rather hear from any of you
> that debated so strongly on security
> Compact Clear and Precisely
> and Digestible for the newcomer
>
> So I can pass on the message to
> whomever I introduce and install Linux.

OK, here are a few to start off with:

1) Create a user other than root. If you install linux yourself your
distribution may well ask you to do this. Make sure the password for
this account is different from your root password. This will improve
your security, and also make it much harder for you to damage your
system by accident.

2) Make both passwords long, and not based upon a dictionary word. In
many distributions if you type passwd at a prompt to change your
password it will warn you if your password is insecure.

3) Pick the highest security options whenever prompted. It is easier to
turn some security precautions off if needed than to recover a
compromised system. When installing, turn SELinux on.

4) Never run any program received via email/IRC or any other source
unless you know the person who sent it, and know that they meant to
send it (i.e it was not sent from their account by a virus/worm).

5) Buy a router instead of a modem for your broadband connection. For a
new user this will be much easier to set up, and most will provide a
basic firewall, preventing external machines from connecting directly
to your lunux PC.

6) Although you are less likely to be susceptible to viruses/worms
downloaded from the internet, still take care. Scams which attempt to
get bank details or passwords (sometimes known as Phishing) can affect
you no matter what OS you use.

7) Consider joining a Linux User Group (LUG). These are generally
inhabited by friendly people and normally have mailing lists as well as
actual meetings where you can pick the brains of experienced users.

I'm sure there are many more, anyone? is it worth compiling an FAQ
entry?

Regards,

Paul

--
Paul Rayner
Ylem Solutions Ltd ~ 32-38 Leman St, London. E1 8EW

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk