[Gllug] Most Recent File

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Nov 26 19:06:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 11:45:49PM +0000, Rich Walker wrote:
> Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:

> >> I'm not speaking for anyone else, but _I_ don't like 'find(1)' because
> >> the syntax is verbose, difficult, and not very Un*x-like.
> >
> > One thing I wonder is if anyone's written a better replacement. (Fading
>
> Python?
>
> (Yes, I know what you mean.)

Hiss, boo!  Obviously the **UNIX**-like replacement would be Perl.
Depending on your preferences that may make you rethink whether a
Unix-like replacement was a good idea in the first place :-)

In one of the ancient Unix systems I used, the find(1) manpage
actually noted that the syntax wasn't very Unix-like.  I can't recall
which one it was though -- possibly ConvexOS?

A quick Google for "unix find replacement" turns up:

http://ftwalk.sourceforge.net/doc-what.php

I'm not sure it's really any better, being based apparently on awk ...

OK, I'm just blathering now, perhaps I should go.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk